What is the pyro version of guide._unpack_and_constrain?

I’m working through part 1 of the Bayesian linear regression tutorial. I use the AutoDiagNormal guide.
But I am having problems getting posterior samples from this, for the sigma parameter,
which has a U(0,10) prior, and hence is constrained.

I had a similar problem in numpyro, which was solved as follows:

svi = SVI(model, guide, optim.Adam(0.1), Trace_ELBO(), data=data)
svi_result = svi.run(random.PRNGKey(0), 2000)
post = guide.get_posterior(svi_result.params)
unconstrained_samples = post.sample(rng_key, sample_shape=(nsamples,))
constrained_samples = guide._unpack_and_constrain(unconstrained_samples, svi_result.params)

I want to do something similar in Pyro, but cannot find the equivalent of the hidden _unpack_and_constrain function.

More specifically, referring to the linear regression tutorial, I noticed
that the posterior marginal quantiles are transformed properly (sigma is 0.9182, which matches HMC):

quant = guide.quantiles([0.5])
print(quant)

# {'sigma': [tensor(0.9182)], 'linear.weight': [tensor([[-1.8635, -0.1926,  0.3305]])], 'linear.bias': [tensor([9.1682])]}

But when I sample from the posterior, they are not transformed (mean of sigma samples is -2.2926):

post = guide.get_posterior()
nsamples = 800
samples = post.sample(sample_shape=(nsamples,))
print(torch.mean(samples,dim=0)) # E[transform(sigma)]=-2.2926, 
#tensor([-2.2926, -1.8662, -0.1933,  0.3319,  9.1655])

IIUC, a scale parameter s with prior U(0,B) is transformed to unconstrained t=logit(s/B),
so we can back transform using s=sigmoid(t)*B. This works: sigmoid(-2.2926)*10 = 0.9174.
But how do I do this programmatically? This is what I tried, but neither make sense to me…

transform = guide.get_transform()

trans_samples = transform(samples)
print(torch.mean(trans_samples,dim=0)) 
#tensor([-2.4197, -2.1300, -0.2015,  0.3586,  9.7502])

trans_samples = transform.inv(samples)
print(torch.mean(trans_samples,dim=0)) 
# tensor([-0.0175, -0.0195, -0.0148,  0.0158, -0.0411])

In general, it would be great to have a guide.sample_posterior function for autoguides in Pyro that matches the one in NumPyro, and which gives the same kind of output as HMC.

Hi @murphyk, I think you can use Predictive for this (I guess we need to resolve the singleton dimensional issue in Pyro version?).

Yes, this works

predictive = Predictive(model, guide=guide, num_samples=800, 
                        return_sites=("sigma", "linear.bias", "linear.weight"))
diag_samples_pred = predictive(x_data, y_data)

print(torch.mean(diag_samples_pred['sigma'])) # tensor(0.9198) :)
print(torch.mean(diag_samples_pred['linear.weight'], dim=0)) # ([[[-1.8608, -0.1920,  0.3269]]])
print(torch.mean(diag_samples_pred['linear.bias'])) # tensor(9.1698)

It will be faster to use predictive = Predictive(guide, num_samples=800, return_sites=...). The pair model, guide is used when you want to make new predictions for y: under the hood, it will collect samples from guide, then using those samples and model to make predictions for y.

I don’t understand your comment. Are you saying I don’t need to ‘clamp’ y, since it has already been conditioned on in the guide? (Note that what I want is the posterior (conditioned on observed x,y) for the model parameters in their original parameterization (so sigma in [0,10]), structured as a dict, not posterior predictions for the observations._

I meant that it is better to use

predictive = Predictive(guide, num_samples=800, 
                        return_sites=("sigma", "linear.bias", "linear.weight"))
diag_samples_pred = predictive(x_data, y_data)

rather than Predictive(model, guide=guide, ...).