Weird SVI behavior with torch.min

Hi all, I’ve got a big model but this is a small subset in which I can reproduce an issue I’m running into. The sub-model has a single child node which is Beta-distributed to be correlated with the min of n Beta-distributed parents.

parents_i ~ Beta(a, b)
concentration1 = 10 * min(parents)
concentration0 = 10 * (1 - min(parents))
child ~ Beta(concentration1, concentration0)

Running for 10k SVI steps with (a, b) = (10, 1), I’m able to recover that prior from the learned parameters of the parents, but the child’s parameters converge elsewhere, even though I “cheated” and initialized all the parameters to (a, b).

con1	con2	mean
11.61	1.10	0.91	parent_0
10.24	1.14	0.90	parent_1
10.34	0.99	0.91	parent_2
11.65	1.03	0.92	parent_3
11.35	1.04	0.92	parent_4
10.96	1.14	0.91	parent_5
8.33	1.93	0.81	child

If the prior has a concentration less than one, like (a, b) = (1, .33), the parents’ learned parameters are still pretty close to the prior mean of 0.75, though the actual concentrations are off, and the learned child parameters get even worse.

con1	con2	mean
1.48	0.43	0.77	parent_0
1.27	0.45	0.74	parent_1
1.39	0.44	0.76	parent_2
1.67	0.41	0.80	parent_3
1.59	0.41	0.79	parent_4
1.45	0.46	0.76	parent_5
4.11	5.93	0.41	child

Is there something screwy about the torch.min gradient? I’ve seen discussions about torch min’s gradient being deterministic, but I’m unclear if that applies to anything here. And if I try a logsumexp-based smoothmin, it has the same issues if I parameterize it to be very close to a min approximation with alpha = -50, but is fine with the smoothing ramped up at alpha = -1. Also, it works fine if I just use torch.mean().

I would very much like to be able to use a min-based combination function, as the model represents a real world “loser-takes-all” scenario.

MWE
import pyro
import pyro.infer
import pyro.optim
import pyro.distributions as dist
from pyro.distributions import constraints
import torch
from tqdm import tqdm

num_parents = 6
beta_prior = [10., 1.]
# beta_prior = [1., .33]

def model():
    parent_values = torch.stack([
        pyro.sample(f'parent_{i}', dist.Beta(torch.tensor([beta_prior[0]]), torch.tensor([beta_prior[1]]), ))
        for i in range(num_parents)
    ])

combined_values = parent_values.min()

pyro.sample('child', dist.Beta(10 * combined_values, 10 * (1 - combined_values)))

def guide():
    for i in range(num_parents):
        concentration1 = pyro.param(f'concentration1_parent_{i}', torch.tensor([beta_prior[0]]), constraint=constraints.positive)
        concentration0 = pyro.param(f'concentration0_parent_{i}', torch.tensor([beta_prior[1]]), constraint=constraints.positive)
        pyro.sample(f'parent_{i}', dist.Beta(concentration1, concentration0))

concentration1 = pyro.param('concentration1_child', torch.tensor([beta_prior[0]]), constraint=constraints.positive)
    concentration0 = pyro.param('concentration0_child', torch.tensor([beta_prior[1]]), constraint=constraints.positive)
    pyro.sample('child', dist.Beta(concentration1, concentration0))

def main():
    svi = pyro.infer.SVI(
        model,
        guide,
        pyro.optim.Adam({"lr": 0.005, "betas": (0.95, 0.999)}),
        loss=pyro.infer.Trace_ELBO(),
    )

for _ in tqdm(range(10000)):
        svi.step()

param_store = pyro.get_param_store()

node_names = [f'parent_{i}' for i in range(num_parents)] + ['child']
    print('con1\tcon2\tmean')
    for node_name in node_names:
        concentration1 = float(param_store[f'concentration1_{node_name}'])
        concentration0 = float(param_store[f'concentration0_{node_name}'])
        print(f'{concentration1:.2f}\t{concentration0:.2f}\t{concentration1/(concentration1+concentration0):.2f}\t{node_name}')

if __name__ == '__main__':
    main()

Hi @gbernstein, my guess is that torch.min simply leads to very sparse gradients and hence very slow learning. That would be consistent with softmax and mean improving learning, since they both have denser gradients.

One thing you might try is to (1) vectorize your model so it is faster and compatible with plates, and then (2) train with many particles, e.g.

elbo = Trace_ELBO(num_particles=100, vectorize_particles=True)

or even num_particles=1000.

To vectorize your model I’d combine the parent_values into a single vectorized sample site and combine concentration parameters into a single site. See the tensor shapes tutorial for tips.

Ah, thanks for the confirmation and suggestions. The full model is already fully vectorized/plated, but increasing the number of particles would be very promising.

Particle vectorization works fine with minimal overhead on this super simple model but the overhead seems to wipe out any speed gains on a much more complicated model; I assume that’s expected with the extra batch dimension? I noticed the cpu usage is still only single-threaded; is there a way to use multiple cores? I had only seen this one vectorize_particles=True option in the docs when it comes to parallelization.

PyTorch automatically uses within-op multi-core parallelism when you operate on large CPU tensors.

Correct, parallelizing over particles is generally worthwhile only in models with small tensors.

1 Like