Trace and replay within guide

Dear Pyro team,

I’m having some trouble at a conceptual level with the best way to structure model() and guide() code. In short, it would be useful to have access to the posterior of certain transformed variables in guide(), and I wondered if using Poutine effect handlers is possible in this nested context? Any help greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!! :slight_smile:

def sample_group_vars():
    vars = pyro.sample('group', ...)
    # Further not necessarily deterministic transformations
    vars = transform(vars)
    # etc
    return vars

def model(data):
    group_vars = sample_group_vars()
    subject_vars = pyro.sample('subject', ...)  # Function of group_vars
    pyro.sample('data', ..., obs=data)  # Function of subject_vars
    return

def guide(data):
    group_vars = pyro.sample('group', distribution(pyro.param('a')))
    # Logic copied from sample_group_vars()
    group_vars = transform(group_vars)
    # etc
    subject_param = amortise(data, group_vars)
    subject_vars = pyro.sample('subject', distribution(subject_param))
    return

The crux of the problem is that it is best if the amortise() function in guide() has access to the group variables in the transformed space (i.e. such that we can combine them with data more easily). The question is whether there is an easier way of doing this than what is sketched above?

• Current approach: recapitulate all the logic in sample_group_vars() in guide(). Disadvantage: code duplication, as all deterministic code has to be repeated.

• Alternative 1: As part of guide(), replay sample_group_vars() with a sample from the posterior over 'group'. Question: is it possible to nest trace() and replay() statements within guide(), or will this problematic when we then need to trace guide() as a whole during inference?

• Alternative 2: Define a context aware function, sample_group_vars(model=True), that will sample from the prior or posterior accordingly. We can then call it in both model() and guide() just by changing the flag, but this feels very much like reinventing the wheel.

Thanks again!