SVI: Guide function param shape different than expected for discrete latent variable

When learning guide function params in SVI, the shape of the param for the discrete latent variable is different than expected.

I have a numpyro model that I’m trying to move over from MCMC to SVI. The model is described in this post, the graphical model is shown below.

For SVI, I’m using TraceGraph_ELBO and defining a custom guide function as suggested in this post in the same thread. The guide function is below, along with the code used to run SVI.

def ci_guide(data, times, data_mask, L, pi, theta_mean, theta_std, s_line_fit_params, h_line_fit_params, s_prior, h_prior, sigma, Sl):
    with numpyro.plate("L", L):
        c_pi = numpyro.param("c_pi_q", pi, constraint=constraints.simplex, event_dim=2)
        c = numpyro.sample("c", dist.Categorical(jnp.array(c_pi)), infer={'enumerate': 'parallel'})

s_mean = numpyro.param("s_mean_q", s_prior[c, 0])
        s_std = numpyro.param("s_std_q", s_prior[c, 1], constraint=constraints.positive)
        s = numpyro.sample("s", dist.Normal(loc=s_mean, scale=s_std))

h_mean = numpyro.param("h_mean_q", h_prior[c, 0])
        h_std = numpyro.param("h_std_q", h_prior[c, 1], constraint=constraints.positive)
        h = numpyro.sample("h", dist.Normal(loc=h_mean, scale=h_std))

theta_1_mean = numpyro.param("theta_1_mean_q", theta_mean[c, 0])
        theta_1_std = numpyro.param("theta_1_std_q", theta_std[c, 0], constraint=constraints.positive)
        theta_1 = numpyro.sample("theta_1", dist.Normal(loc=theta_1_mean, scale=theta_1_std))

theta_2_mean = numpyro.param("theta_2_mean_q", theta_mean[c, 1], constraint=constraints.positive)
        theta_2_std = numpyro.param("theta_2_std_q", theta_std[c, 1], constraint=constraints.positive)
        theta_2 = numpyro.sample("theta_2", ImproperTruncatedNormal(loc=theta_2_mean, scale=theta_2_std))

theta_5_mean = numpyro.param("theta_5_mean_q", theta_mean[c, 2], constraint=constraints.positive)
        theta_5_std = numpyro.param("theta5_std_q", theta_std[c, 4], constraint=constraints.positive)
        theta_5 = numpyro.sample("theta_5", ImproperTruncatedNormal(loc=theta_5_mean, scale=theta_5_std))

theta_6_mean = numpyro.param("theta_6_mean_q", theta_mean[c, 3], constraint=constraints.positive)
        theta_6_std = numpyro.param("theta_6_std_q", theta_std[c, 5], constraint=constraints.positive)
        theta_6 = numpyro.sample("theta_6", ImproperTruncatedNormal(loc=theta_6_mean, scale=theta_6_std))

gamma_3 = s_line_fit_params[c, 0] + s * s_line_fit_params[c, 1]
        gamma_4 = h_line_fit_params[c, 0] + h * h_line_fit_params[c, 1]
        gamma_length = gamma_4 - gamma_3
        sigma_gamma_length = jnp.sqrt(theta_std[c, 3]**2 - theta_std[c, 2]**2)

theta_3_mean = numpyro.param("theta_3_mean_q", gamma_3, constraint=constraints.positive)
        theta_3_std = numpyro.param("theta_3_std_q", theta_std[c, 2], constraint=constraints.positive)
        theta_3 = numpyro.sample("theta_3", ImproperTruncatedNormal(loc=theta_3_mean, scale=theta_3_std))

length_mean = numpyro.param("length_mean_q", gamma_length, constraint=constraints.positive)
        length_std = numpyro.param("length_std_q", sigma_gamma_length, constraint=constraints.positive)
        length = numpyro.sample("length", ImproperTruncatedNormal(loc=length_mean, scale=length_std))        

optimizer = numpyro.optim.Adam(step_size=0.0005)
svi = infer.SVI(my_model, ci_guide, optimizer, loss=infer.TraceGraph_ELBO(num_particles=10))
svi_result = svi.run(jrng_key, 2000, *args)

#L = 3000, K = 2, c_pi should have shape (2, 3000), instead has shape (2)
svi_result.params
'''
{'c_pi_q': DeviceArray([0.30955595, 0.69044405], dtype=float32),
'h_mean_q': DeviceArray([298.2612 , 287.16235, 287.19156, ..., 288.3742 , 298.34912,
              298.35825], dtype=float32),
}
'''

In particular, I expect the parameter c_pi for the discrete latent variable c to be of shape (L, K) where K is the shape of the vector pi. Instead I get c_pi to just be a vector of shape K. All the remaining parameters are vectors of length L as expected. I tried adding event_dim=2 as per this post, but that didn’t change anything.

I’m unsure how to move forward, so any help would be appreciated.

I think you can broadcast the initial value of c_pi to the desired shape.

Hi @fehiepsi , ok so I am trying to get c_pi to be of shape (L, K) by passing its initial value as an (L, K) array.

with numpyro.plate("L", L):
        #pi is vector of length K
        c_pi = numpyro.param("c_pi_q", jnp.repeat(pi[:, jnp.newaxis], L, axis=1).T, constraint=constraints.simplex)
        c = numpyro.sample("c", dist.Categorical(jnp.array(c_pi)), infer={'enumerate': 'parallel'})

The SVI result now seems to return c_pi to be of the desired shape (L, K), though my overall results aren’t that improved, so I want to make sure that I’m doing the right thing here. I want the model to learn a new value of the param c_pi for each of the L instances. Is this achievable with broadcasting approach in the above code, or do I need to do something else?

Yes, this will create a param with shape (L, K) and be used through the guide. You might also want to try TraceEnum_ELBO.