Infinite loss during SVI

Hi, I am currently implementing a version of the ORDScale Model described in this paper. The corresponding graph is:
x8trfZ8

Disregard the discrete support plate in the bottom-right, it is not relevant to my use case.
The goal of the model is to infer latent classes z_m of documents m given the words v and the sentiment values x.

class OrdScale(nn.Module):
    def __init__(self, n_c=5, vocab_size=corpus["vocab_size"], device=device, verbose=False):
        super().__init__()
        self.n_c = n_c  # number of classes
        self.vocab_size = vocab_size
        self.device = device
        self.verbose = verbose

def model(self, X, V, pi_Z):
        n_stories, n_words = X.shape

base_X_c = dist.Normal(torch.zeros(self.n_c, device=self.device), torch.ones(self.n_c, device=self.device)/n_stories)
        mode_X_c = pyro.sample(
                        "mode_X_c",
                        dist.TransformedDistribution(base_X_c, [transforms.OrderedTransform(), transforms.SigmoidTransform()])
                    )
        conc_X_c = pyro.sample("conc_X_c", dist.Gamma(torch.ones(self.n_c, device=self.device), torch.ones(self.n_c, device=self.device)).to_event(1))

Phi = pyro.sample("Phi", dist.Dirichlet(torch.ones(self.n_c, self.vocab_size, device=self.device)/self.vocab_size).to_event(1))

with pyro.plate('document_plate', n_stories, dim=-2):
            pi_Z = pyro.sample("pi_Z", dist.Dirichlet(torch.ones(self.n_c, device=self.device)/self.n_c), obs=pi_Z)

with pyro.plate('word_plate', n_words, dim=-1):
                Z = pyro.sample('Z', dist.Categorical(pi_Z))
                mode_X_c_n = Vindex(mode_X_c)[..., Z.long()]
                conc_X_c_n = Vindex(conc_X_c)[..., Z.long()]
                X = pyro.sample('X', dist.Beta(
                        (mode_X_c_n * conc_X_c_n) + 1 , ((1 - mode_X_c_n) * conc_X_c_n) + 1 ), obs=X
                    )
                Phi_n = Vindex(Phi)[..., Z.long(), :]
                V = pyro.sample('V', dist.Categorical(Phi_n), obs=V)

return pi_Z, Z

def guide(self, X, V, pi_Z):
        n_stories, n_words = X.shape

alpha = pyro.param('alpha', lambda: torch.ones(self.n_c, device=self.device)/self.n_c, constraint=constraints.positive)

base_X_c = dist.Normal(torch.zeros(self.n_c, device=self.device), torch.ones(self.n_c, device=self.device)/n_stories)
        mode_X_c = pyro.sample(
                        "mode_X_c",
                        dist.TransformedDistribution(base_X_c, [transforms.OrderedTransform(), transforms.SigmoidTransform()])
                    )
        conc_X_c = pyro.sample("conc_X_c", dist.Gamma(torch.ones(self.n_c, device=self.device), torch.ones(self.n_c, device=self.device)).to_event(1))
        Phi = pyro.sample("Phi", dist.Dirichlet(torch.ones(self.n_c, self.vocab_size, device=self.device)/self.vocab_size).to_event(1))

with pyro.plate('document_plate', n_stories, dim=-2):
            # pi_Z = pyro.sample("pi_Z", dist.Dirichlet(torch.ones(self.n_c, device=self.device)/self.n_c), obs=pi_Z)
            pi_Z = pyro.sample("pi_Z", dist.Dirichlet(alpha))

with pyro.plate('word_plate', n_words, dim=-1):
                Z = pyro.sample('Z', dist.Categorical(pi_Z))

However, after a few steps of SVI, the loss becomes infinite. I tried using dtype float64 and reducing batch size from 64 to 4 but it did not solve the problem (although reducing batch size seems to mostly postpone the infinite loss by a few batches).

While tinkering I sometimes had an error telling me that the log_prob_sum of pi_Z was infinite so the issue might be related to pi_Z. EDIT: actually, probably not, that was due to me feeding a tensor that contained the value 1. Changing it removed the warning.

Do you have an idea what causes it?

Also, if you spot errors in the implementation of my model and/or guide, please tell me.

Thank you for your attention.

you might try monitoring some of the values you’re feeding into distributions over the course of optimization, e.g. the min/max of the two tensors that define the beta distribution. that may point to what’s leading to infinite loss

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried monitoring the values but nothing seems out of place: all minimum and maximum values are within constraints…

you might consider some of the suggestions here