Inferring simple nonlinear model with noise

Hi,

I’m new to numpyro and am hoping to use it for modelling ODE problems. As a learning exercise, I’ve tried inferring values from a simple nonlinear model (exponential decay). The data and model are below:

t = jnp.linspace(0,2,100)

data = 20 * jnp.exp(-5 * t) + 2 * jax.random.normal(random.PRNGKey(0), ([100]))

`def model(data): 
    t = jnp.linspace(0.0,2.0,100)
    a = numpyro.sample("a", dist.Normal(0.0, 50.0))
    b = numpyro.sample("b", dist.Normal(0.0, 50.0))

sigma = numpyro.sample("sigma", dist.Normal(0.0, 50.0))

mean = a * jnp.exp(-b * t)

with numpyro.plate("data", len(data)):        
        numpyro.sample("obs", dist.Normal(mean, sigma), obs=data)

This seems to work fine using an auto guide or NUTS sampler, but I can’t work out why my hand-written guide is not working. Here it is:

def guide(data): 
    t = jnp.linspace(0.0,2.0,100)

a_loc = numpyro.param("a_loc", 20.0)
    a_scale = numpyro.param('a_scale', 10.0, constraint=constraints.positive)

b_loc = numpyro.param("b_loc", 5.0)
    b_scale = numpyro.param('b_scale', 10.0, constraint=constraints.positive)

sigma_loc = numpyro.param('sigma_loc', 2.0)
    sigma_scale = numpyro.param('sigma_scale', 10.0, constraint=constraints.positive)

a = numpyro.sample("a", dist.Normal(a_loc, a_scale))
    b = numpyro.sample("b", dist.Normal(b_loc, b_scale))
    sigma = numpyro.sample("sigma", dist.Normal(sigma_loc, sigma_scale))

mean = a * jnp.exp(-b * t)

with numpyro.plate("data", len(data)):        
        numpyro.sample("obs", dist.Normal(mean, sigma))

optimizer = numpyro.optim.Adam(step_size=0.05)

svi = SVI(model, guide, optimizer, loss=Trace_ELBO())

svi_result = svi.run(random.PRNGKey(0), 10000, data)

The result of this nan.

My understanding is that initial params set in the guide act as an initial guess – is this correct?

I anticipate I’ve made some trivial mistake based on some misunderstanding. Any advice on what is going wrong and how to fix it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Pavan

large initial values of scale parameters for Normal distributions is generally a bad idea, as it will make everything high variance. so you might start by lowering your scales. you might also try (substantially) lower learning rates.

1 Like

Thanks for your fast and informative reply.
I have correct this, reducing initial scale parameters to 1.0 and setting learning rate to 1e-5. This leads to results comparable to NUTS. Thanks!
When I use AutoNormal with a learning rate of 1e-5 it seems to be much worse than when using a higher learning rate (e.g. 1.0). Is this expected behaviour?

it’s hard to say in general, there’s a large space of stochastic optimization problems out there and they behave in different ways. it depends on the problem.

incidentally this part of your model doesn’t make sense:

sigma needs to be drawn from a distribution with positive support, e.g. HalfNormal or LogNormal

Ah yes! Thanks for spotting this, and thanks for your help today— really appreciated. I look forward to working more with numpyro :).

Thanks,
Pavan