Help with implementing a Categorical GPLVM

Hi all,

I am trying to implement a Gaussian process latent variable model (gplvm) for categorical data. The model is the one presented in Section 3, Eq. (1) in this paper, which is basically the usual GP-LVM, but with categorical likelihood, which would require using pyro’s VariationalSparseGP.

The gplvm code below uses a Gaussian likelihood (despite the integer-valued categorical data):

import numpy as np
import pyro
import torch

import pyro.contrib.gp as gp
import pyro.distributions as dist

N = 80   # number of sequences
C = 4    # number of classes for each element of the sequence
L = 10   # length of each sequence
d = 2    # GP-LVM latent space dimension
n = 20   # number of inducing points

y = torch.zeros(N, L).int()
for l in range(L):
    y[:, l] = dist.Categorical(torch.rand(C)).sample((N,))

X_init = torch.zeros(N, d)   
kernel = gp.kernels.RBF(input_dim=d, lengthscale=torch.ones(d))
Xu = torch.zeros(n, d) + torch.rand(n, d) * 0.01   # initial inducing inputs of sparse model
likelihood = gp.likelihoods.Gaussian()
gpmodule = gp.models.VariationalSparseGP(X_init, y.T, kernel, Xu, likelihood=likelihood)
gplvm = gp.models.GPLVM(gpmodule)
gp.util.train(gplvm)
X = gplvm.X

plt.scatter(X[:, 0], X[:, 1])   # plot the inferred latent variables

As mentioned, I’d want to use likelihood = gp.likelihoods.MultiClass(num_classes=C). However, simply replacing this doesn’t seem to work, as I get the following error:

ValueError: Number of Gaussian processes should be equal to the number of classes. Expected 4 but got 10.
                Trace Shapes:               
                 Param Sites:               
                base_model.Xu    20  2      
base_model.kernel.lengthscale        2      
   base_model.kernel.variance               
             base_model.u_loc    10 20      
      base_model.u_scale_tril 10 20 20      
                Sample Sites:               
                       X dist        | 80  2
                        value        | 80  2
            base_model.u dist        | 10 20
                        value        | 10 20

I’ve just started using pyro a few days ago, so I’d appreciate any help you might have on this matter. Thanks!

Hi @andreea, you can find more info in VSGP docs or in deep kernel learning example. For multi class classification problems, you need to set latent_shape to the number of classes (i.e. latent_shape=(C,)) because we are using C GPs (with shared kernel) to predict the logits,which will be converted to class probabilities in MultiClass likelihood.

Hi @fehiepsi, thanks for the reply! However, I’ve already tried that and it doesn’t seem to work. I think the problem is that there’s not a single categorical variable, but rather L of them for each dataset element (so we’d need a total of C * L GPs). I added the imports in the code above so that it’s self contained.

If you want to use L * C GPs, then you can set latent_shape = (L, C). But it is surprising to me that latent_shape = (C,) is raising some errors. Could you post the tracing error here?

My bad, I actually had a mistake in the data processing, it works just fine now with latent_shape=(C,). Thank you!