Hashable args/kwargs

Hello.

I’m new to pyro, so my questions may seem kind of basic. But I’m running into a bug in my program where the marginal distribution I’ve inferred from a generative model seems to need hashable arguments. Does this mean that if we specify a generative model it can’t take as arguments anything hashable (i.e. numpy arrays? other types of objects?).

Another quick question, what’s the significance of the *args, **kwargs notation I see in the call structure for a bunch of the functions in the documentation?

Thanks for your help!

Hi, can you post a code snippet that reproduces the errors you’re getting?

The *args, **kwargs notation indicates additional, unspecified arguments. It appears frequently because much of Pyro’s internals are concerned with recording and modifying the behavior of function calls.

Sure! The code is dependent on a bunch of procedures in other files, but I can show you the part that is producing the error:

def solve(h, num_samp, bmdp, belief, state):
	action_dist = dist.Categorical(ps=Variable(torch.FloatTensor([1/len(bmdp.pomdp.actions) for _ in bmdp.pomdp.actions])),vs=list(range(len(bmdp.pomdp.actions))))
	qs = [bmdp.reward_func(belief, a) for a in bmdp.pomdp.actions]

for i in range(len(qs)):
	marg = pyro.infer.Marginal(pyro.infer.Importance(sample_reward, num_samples=num_samp))
	exp_val = 1/num_samp*sum([marg(h-1,bmdp,belief,action_dist,state) for _ in range(num_samp)])
	qs[i] += exp_val

print('qs')
print(qs)
print()
return qs[np.argmax(np.array([q[1] for q in qs]))][0]

The above call on marg leads to the issue. Also for reference here is the sample_reward function:

def sample_reward(h, bmdp, belief, action_dist, state):
	if h == 0:
		return 0
	else:
		act_ind = pyro.sample('act', action_dist)[0]
		# print(act_ind)
		act = bmdp.pomdp.actions[act_ind]
		new_bel, state = bmdp.bel_sampler(belief, act, state)
		return bmdp.reward_func(belief, act) + (bmdp.pomdp.disc*sample_reward(h-1,bmdp,new_bel,action_dist,state) if state != 'complete' else 0)

Thanks for your help!

I’m not sure why the formatting messed up my indentation is solve. I have the proper indents in my actual code

So one thing I noticed after some investigation is that the marginal seems to want Torch Variable(FloatTensors()) as input. In fact I can’t seem to get these programs to run otherwise. Does everything that I pass to the marginal have to be a Variable wrapping a Tensor? Because I could make that edit but it would require some substantial re-structuring of previous code. I want to be sure that that is necessary before diving in. Also how should I wrap things that aren’t floats, ints, and arrays i.e. objects?