Comparison between do-operator and conditional inference

Hi all,

I am playing around with the do-operator while following along with the lecture Causality: Jonas Peters, Part 1 and the post by inFERENCe toy example.

models
def model_01():
    x = numpyro.sample("x", dist.Normal(0, 1))
    _y = numpyro.sample("_y", dist.Normal(0, 1))
    y = numpyro.deterministic("y", x + 1 + jnp.sqrt(3) * _y)
    return x, y

def model_02():
    _x = numpyro.sample("_x", dist.Normal(0, 1))
    y = numpyro.deterministic("y", 1 + 2 * _y)
    x = numpyro.deterministic("x", (y - 1) / 4 + jnp.sqrt(3) * _x / 2)
    return x, y

def model_03():
    _z = numpyro.sample("_z", dist.Normal(0, 1))
    y = numpyro.deterministic("y", _z + 1 + jnp.sqrt(3) * _y)
    x = numpyro.deterministic("x", _z)
    return x, y

Given the three models above, I can see that both the joint distribution and the conditional, P(Y | X = 3) are equal.

With this toy example, I wanted to see how numpyro.handlers.do and numpyro.handlers.condition differ expecting the intervention P_{do(X = 3)} \ne P(Y | X = 3). As in the blog post, I can show that P_{do(X = 3)} \ne P(Y | X = 3) is true by comparing the between the Figure 1 and 2, posterior of y. The intervention and conditioning differ because each model have different structural causal equations.

Figure 1: P(Y|X=3) for each model (the distributions look off because of the low number of samples. I am just trying to be consistent with the blog post)

Figure 2: P_{do(X = 3)} for each model.

Figure 3: numpyro.handlers.condition(..., data={"x": 3}) for each model.

What surprises me is that numpyro.handlers.do and numpyro.handlers.condition result in the same posterior for y. Is this expected? I don’t think an intervention with a do-operator is the same as Bayesian inference so is this result expected because of the mechanism/implementation of condition and do?

Link to the full notebook.

Note: Maybe this toy problem is not the greatest example because of at least two complications I came across.

1. In Jonas Peters lecture and slides he emphasizes that P_{do(X = x)} \ne P(. | X = x), yet in the simplest X → Y model intervention and conditioning do equal… I think this is a simple proof…
  2. At times I am using numpyro.handlers.condition on a deterministic site which I think may cause some issues, see this post.

I believe your second explanation is correct: numpyro.handlers.condition is not compatible with numpyro.deterministic. Currently it has no effect, but perhaps condition should be modified to raise a NotImplementedError for deterministic sites.