TraceEnum_ELBO().compute_marginals gives unstable result

Hi, here I have a collection called xs, which contains four candidates matrixes x0, x1 ,x2 and x3 . I also have a target matrix called ydata. The goal is to find which matrix among [x0,x1,x2,x3] is the most similar to the matrix ydata. The strategy is to create a discrete index variable called assignment so that xs[assignment] is the the most similar to ydata.

ydata = torch.tensor([[1.0,2.0,3.0],[6.0,10.0,15.0]])

x0 = torch.tensor([[1.0,2.1,3.0],[6.2,10.0,15.0]])
x1 = torch.tensor([[1.1,2.0,3.0],[6.2,10.0,15.0]])
x2 = torch.tensor([[19.0,29.0,3.0],[69.0,17.0,15.0]])
x3 = torch.tensor([[11.0,25.0,3.0],[7.0,-10.0,15.0]])
xs = torch.stack([x0,x1,x2,x3],dim=-1)

From the actual value we can see that matrixes x0 and x1 are both quite similar to ydata, so I would expect that the distribution of the discrete variable called assignment is approximately 50% on 0 and 50% on 1.

I used the function TraceEnum_ELBO().compute_marginals to get the marginalised discrete distribution of the variable assignment. However, I find a weird thing, which is: if I implement TraceEnum_ELBO().compute_marginals for several times, I can get quite different distributions each time, like:

and

Please note I have fixed the seed and the starting point of SVI. I only trained the SVI once, but runs the TraceEnum_ELBO().compute_marginals several times and obtained different results each time.

I understand that the distribution is obtained by sampling, so I shouldn’t expect that the result is completely the same after each sampling. But I think the problem is from TraceEnum_ELBO().compute_marginals rather than the pyro.sample('assignment',margin['assignment']). step because if I just implement TraceEnum_ELBO().compute_marginals only once and then implement pyro.sample('assignment',margin['assignment']). several times then the distribution is much more stable. I want to understand why TraceEnum_ELBO().compute_marginals gives unstable result.

Below are my code for your reference.

ydata = torch.tensor([[1.0,2.0,3.0],[6.0,10.0,15.0]])

x0 = torch.tensor([[1.0,2.1,3.0],[6.2,10.0,15.0]])
x1 = torch.tensor([[1.1,2.0,3.0],[6.2,10.0,15.0]])
x2 = torch.tensor([[19.0,29.0,3.0],[69.0,17.0,15.0]])
x3 = torch.tensor([[11.0,25.0,3.0],[7.0,-10.0,15.0]])
xs = torch.stack([x0,x1,x2,x3],dim=-1)
locs = xs

# Fixed number of components.
K = 4

@config_enumerate
def model(data):
    # Global variables.
    weights = pyro.sample('weights', dist.Dirichlet(torch.ones(K)/K))
    scale = pyro.sample('scale', dist.LogNormal(0., 2.))
    assignment = pyro.sample('assignment', dist.Categorical(weights))

for i in pyro.markov(range(ydata.shape[0])):#pyro.markov(range(len(data))):
        for j in pyro.markov(range(ydata.shape[1])):
            pyro.sample('obs'+str(i)+'_'+str(j), dist.Normal(locs[:,:,assignment][i,j], scale), obs=ydata[i,j])

After implementing the following training process, the TraceEnum_ELBO converges.

def init_loc_fn(site):
    if site["name"] == "weights":
        # Initialize weights to uniform.
        return torch.ones(K) / K
    if site["name"] == "scale":
        return torch.tensor([0.5])
    if site["name"] == "assignment":
        return torch.tensor([0])
    raise ValueError(site["name"])

optim = pyro.optim.Adam({'lr': 0.01})
def initialize(seed):
    global global_guide, svi
    pyro.set_rng_seed(seed)
    pyro.clear_param_store()
    global_guide = AutoNormal(poutine.block(model, hide=['assignment']),init_loc_fn=init_loc_fn)
    svi = SVI(model, global_guide, optim, loss= TraceEnum_ELBO())
    return svi.loss(model, global_guide, ydata)

# Choose the best among 100 random initializations.
loss, seed = min((initialize(seed), seed) for seed in range(10))
initialize(seed)

losses = []
for i in range(501 if not smoke_test else 2):
    loss = svi.step(ydata)
    losses.append(loss)
    if i % 10 == 0:
        print("ELBO at iter i = "+str(i),loss)

Then I tried to get the marginalised distribution for assignment by

margin = TraceEnum_ELBO().compute_marginals(model, global_guide, ydata)
with pyro.plate('samples', 10000, dim=-2): 
  mar_samples = pyro.sample('assignment',margin['assignment']).detach().numpy()
plt.hist(mar_samples)

Thank you so much!

This seems like expected behavior. TraceEnum_ELBO().compute_marginals first draws samples (one, by default) from the guide for each non-enumerated latent variable (weights and scale, in this case), then computes marginal distributions of enumerated variables conditional on those samples.

I would therefore guess that the variability you are seeing is coming from conditioning on a single posterior sample of weights from the guide. One way to stabilize your results would be to make weights a constant rather than a random variable, since weights and assignment are both global variables and it sounds like you’re only interested in assignment anyway. You could also average over multiple guide samples of weights using the num_particles keyword argument to TraceEnum_ELBO.

1 Like

@eb8680_2 I think set num_particles larger than 1 is prohibited in the compute_marginals code? It might be better to run computer_marginals multi times to get a average value?