MCMC.run keeps running without any progress

I was trying to follow up the example of MCMC with and LKJ prior and make some modification to let it runnable in the Jupyter Notebook, here is the code segment I am running

import argparse
import torch
import pyro
import pyro.distributions as dist
from pyro.infer.mcmc import NUTS
from pyro.infer.mcmc.api import MCMC

def model(y):
    d = y.shape[1]
    N = y.shape[0]
    options = dict(dtype=y.dtype, device=y.device)
    # Vector of variances for each of the d variables
    theta = pyro.sample("theta", dist.HalfCauchy(torch.ones(d, **options)))
    # Lower cholesky factor of a correlation matrix
    concentration = torch.ones(
        (), **options
    )  # Implies a uniform distribution over correlation matrices
    L_omega = pyro.sample("L_omega", dist.LKJCholesky(d, concentration))
    # Lower cholesky factor of the covariance matrix
    L_Omega = torch.mm(torch.diag(theta.sqrt()), L_omega)
    # For inference with SVI, one might prefer to use torch.bmm(theta.sqrt().diag_embed(), L_omega)

# Vector of expectations
    mu = torch.zeros(d, **options)

with pyro.plate("observations", N):
        obs = pyro.sample("obs", dist.MultivariateNormal(mu, scale_tril=L_Omega), obs=y)
    return obs

y = torch.randn(500, 5).to(dtype=torch.double)
nuts_kernel = NUTS(model, jit_compile=True, step_size=1e-5)

MCMC(
        nuts_kernel,
        num_samples=200,
        warmup_steps=100,
        num_chains=4,
    ).run(y)

but it seems that the MCMC. run keeps running without any progress, which is shown in the following screenshot

Hi @huaiyanggongzi You’ll need to install the widget package. Please see MCMC docs for more information.

Hi @fehiepsi, i had installed the widgets package using conda install -c conda-forge ipywidgets Thanks.

If you are using jupyter notebook/lab, then you might try to install corresponding extension Markov Chain Monte Carlo (MCMC) — NumPyro documentation

@fehiepsi , thanks for the information. I will give it a try. Infact, I am using Pyro, and see whether it works as well.

@fehiepsi, I checked the setting of the virtual environment and validated that it already has that extension installed, and it will keep running without any progress if num_chains > 1. Then I changed num_chains=1, and it gets another type of message, i.e., RuntimeError: Multiple sample sites named 'samples' I explained that issue in another topic thread, would you like to take a look at it as well? Really appreciated!