A Possible bug? 'Tensor' object has no attribute '_pyro_backward' Error

I have a little model here which has vectorized plate and markov context, and it gives strange error.
‘Tensor’ object has no attribute ‘_pyro_backward’
The strange thing is that if you delete any one of the a and b variable, the error disappear, which means that they worked well on their own and conflicted when working together, however, this two variables are set to be independent.
This model has no practical meanings, but it seems that this model doesn’t break any rules, so i guess that this model revealed some bugs.
I searched in the forum and found no relevant information, please help me! Thanks!

import torch
import pyro
import pyro.distributions as dist
from pyro.infer import TraceEnum_ELBO, config_enumerate

@config_enumerate
def model():
    with  pyro.plate('plate', size=2, dim=-1):
        a = pyro.sample('a', dist.Dirichlet(concentration=torch.ones(2)))
    for T in pyro.markov(range(2)):
        b = pyro.sample('b{}'.format(T), dist.Categorical(
                        probs=torch.ones(2)), infer={'enumerate': None})

@config_enumerate(default='sequential')
def guide():
        a_param=pyro.param('a_param',torch.ones(2))
        a = pyro.sample('a', dist.Dirichlet(concentration=a_param))
        b_param=pyro.param('b_param',torch.ones(2))
        b = pyro.sample('b{}'.format(T), dist.Categorical(probs=b_param))

pyro.clear_param_store()

elbo = TraceEnum_ELBO()

print(elbo.loss(model, guide))

The error is as follows

AttributeError Traceback (most recent call last) e:\Project\sim\sim_2p_2l.py in 27 pyro . clear_param_store ( ) 28 elbo = TraceEnum_ELBO ( ) —> 29 print ( elbo . loss ( generative_model , guide ) ) c:\Users\yaowang.conda\envs\my_env\lib\site-packages\pyro\infer\traceenum_elbo.py in loss **(self, model, guide, *args, kwargs) 403 elbo = 0.0 404 for model_trace , guide_trace in self . _get_traces ( model , guide , args , kwargs ) : → 405 elbo_particle = _compute_dice_elbo ( model_trace , guide_trace ) 406 if is_identically_zero ( elbo_particle ) : 407 continue c:\Users\yaowang.conda\envs\my_env\lib\site-packages\pyro\infer\traceenum_elbo.py in _compute_dice_elbo (model_trace, guide_trace) 212 costs . setdefault ( ordering [ name ] , [ ] ) . append ( cost ) 213 → 214 return Dice ( guide_trace , ordering ) . compute_expectation ( costs ) 215 216 c:\Users\yaowang.conda\envs\my_env\lib\site-packages\pyro\infer\util.py in compute_expectation (self, costs) 296 require_backward ( query ) 297 root = ring . sumproduct ( log_factors , sum_dims ) → 298 root . _pyro_backward ( ) 299 probs = { 300 key : query . _pyro_backward_result . exp ( ) AttributeError : ‘Tensor’ object has no attribute ‘_pyro_backward’

The even more funny thing is that if you change the sequence of the two variables, error message gone.

import torch
import pyro

@config_enumerate
def model():

def guide():

pyro.clear_param_store()
elbo = TraceEnum_ELBO()

It seems that this error was caused by a vectorized plate followed by at least two guide side sequentially enumerated sample site. Would someone please help me out here.
My intended use of this model is to have a global variable a, a local discrete variable b which depends on a, and another discrete variable c which depends on b. To simplify the problem, i removed the interdependencies in the above model with the error not changed. I know that under this case i should use guide side sequential enumeration on vatiable b, so there seems to be no way to work around.
Really appreciate any help here, i’m quite confused.

I did some research to the error trace, and found that it was caused by calling the _pyro_backward funcion of a tensor, the strange thing is that the tensor was the same in the above two examples, but only the first example gave the error.
Please help me~

Really need some help from the develop team, it seems that this is a substrate level bug.

help wanted

As discussed on github, this indeed appears to be a bug, but I don’t see its underlying cause. If you’d like to continue debugging, I’d suggest starting with model closer to something you’d see in the real world, e.g. where every latent variable leads to downstream observations (your model has no observations).

My original model was a cognitive model with real world meanings, and with downstream structure, observation, etc. The error appeared nonetheless. The code i posted was a very simplified version with all irrelevant detail removed without removing the error.
I tried a modified version with an observation node added, the problem still there:

import torch
import pyro

@config_enumerate
def model():
    with pyro.plate('plate', size=2, dim=-1):
    c=pyro.sample('c',dist.Categorical(probs=a[b]),obs=torch.tensor(0))

def guide():
    with pyro.plate('plate', size=2, dim=-1):

pyro.clear_param_store()
elbo = TraceEnum_ELBO()

Thanks for your reply, hope the cause of the bug found soon.